Sunday, March 16, 2008

Totally R.A.D.

I have a confession to make, I have been attending self-defense classes. Now, I realize these programs can be useful and I certainly don't want to give the impression that they are not worthwhile for many women. Lets just say that the idea of these things has never been "my thing". I am not a joiner (shock!) and I am not one to enjoy making a fool of myself in public. In fact, I am still somewhat haunted by a very particular "learning exercise" I participated in at Bank Street. Needless to say this class was not my idea. I even said no, many times.

But....something else you may or may not know about me is that I can be easily swayed by friends or people claiming to want to be my friend. So when several of my co-workers came back from the first class and told me it was "life changing" this did nothing. When they said, "we talked about you last night and said you have to do this class with us" I was totally swayed. I am a sucker for that you like me, you really like me moment. This and the pledge I made right here on my blog to be more socially active and involved. So I blame you.

It's also true that I work in scary downtown Baltimore where we all anxiously watch the interactive homicide map generously displayed daily on Baltimore Sun. I commute on mass transit, sometimes lovingly referred to as the "crime rail" and yes, I have seen an empty crack vial on said train. So, really it might not be such a bad idea.

The class is twice a week for 6 weeks and we learn all sorts of moves. The final voluntary test is to break out of a room wearing a large amount of protective gear. Or so the pictures in the photocopied 1990's manual and here lead us to believe. I am not allowed to show anyone said moves because you never know on whom you will need to use them. So don't ask, buster. We have already learned how to stand so we mean business if a stranger tries to talk to us. This I was tempted to use at the pet store on Sunday when a strange woman tried to tell me all about her cats. But, I don' t think I was really in danger.

Let's never speak of this again.


No comments: